pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Saturday, 16 June 2012

stylist's trend on trial, trialled: classic retro wave



Again, there wasn't a Trend on Trial in this week's Stylist so I decided to go back to the one I missed while I was on holiday - the Classic Retro Wave (you can find it here, page 46).  

Now, hair is a difficult one for me, ask me to do something technical like an upside down french plait, then I'm  your girl (thanks to hours as a child trying to perfect these things!), ask me to do a Cheryl Cole style blow dry full of volume then I'm rubbish.  I can't even attempt to co-ordinate a hairdryer AND a brush, which is why most of the time my hair is down and 'kinda' straight.  The ten minute blast is how I do my hair...every morning!

So I was looking forward to trialing this trend, it was going to be a challenge but hopefully not an impossible one.  I started by prepping my hair with the Paul Mitchell Thicken Up Styling Liquid, my go-to product when I want my hair to look that bit less fine than it actually is.  I was then pretty glad to read that Joanna insisted that your hair must be 100% dry before you attempt the long-lasting wave...this meant I could actually do the  quick blast, and keep my fingers crossed that my technical skills may come into practice.

I then put my hair into a side parting, which I figured would work better with my fringe, and help to perfect that Lana Del Ray look, and I set to.  Following Joanna's advice (yes, she is my beauty guru) I coated the ends of my hair in dry shampoo, apparently this helps to give the 'matte' look.  I then started, well, straightening.  I don't own tongs so I had to make do with my faithful GHD's. 

Once my hair was formed into some semi-perfect ringlets, I spritz it in hairspray and waited for it too cool down (again, Joanna's advice).  I then had to brush it out, yes, brush it out.  I was NOT happy about this.  But not wanting to let you all down..I did it, but rather than looking like a Del Ray beauty I looked more like Courtney Love after a heavy night out!!  But after fiddling a bit more, I think I achieved some kind of attempt at the long-lasting wave, but really I just need Joanna to come round here and show me how to do it properly.



So what do you think, and what do I think? Perhaps without my fringe, or a longer fringe I think it would have worked better.  But for a first attempt, I think it's not half bad!  

In hindsight, I wish I'd done a retro make-up look too, a classic red lip would really have finished the look off , but hey, hindsight is a beautiful thing!

Will you be trying out the classic wave? 

all about the girl
xx

7 comments :

  1. I haven't definitely done a more retro wave (when my hair was a bit shorter) and LOVED the affect. I think yours looks a bit more relaxed/beachy which is a great look for you. One way to make it a bit more retro might be to have your bangs off your face - held with a bit of styling product a la Reese here:

    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QDJimzDBUig/TiyZQbT6rnI/AAAAAAAABGo/HmaCjIUAnKg/s1600/34_ReeseWitherspoon.jpg&imgrefurl=http://missamethystspowderroom.blogspot.com/2011/07/best-hair-for-your-face-shape.html&h=600&w=393&sz=56&tbnid=xNZfRwBaa9_xFM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=59&zoom=1&usg=__ISX5vq8VNN6_aPUbJdDGiY0Qqlg=&docid=V-BHE8Tp3y4KNM&sa=X&ei=SX_cT_b1D8iZ6QHlqoT-Cg&ved=0CG8Q9QEwBQ&dur=448

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great style, I can't wait for my hair to get a bit longer so I can make the most of my natural waves (although my hair doesnt always curl in the direction I want it to!)

    Karys x
    whoisgrumblebeard.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks lovely! I'm absolutely rubbish with curling my hair... (Or doing anything with it, on second thoughts.) It just never goes how I want it to go.

    It looks very natural and simple, but still very pretty! I may attempt to give this one a go, and see if my hair plans on behaving any time soon.

    Xx. Emma (Hell&Milk)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh your hair looks so pretty! such a lovely blonde x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Your hair colour is so lovely it makes me want to get mine done again! Haha! xx

    myprettymummy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely in the pictures. Your hairs great. I'm useless with mine it's too thick and long to manage. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hair, it looks so beautiful!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...