pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Friday, 1 January 2016

2016: a challenge

I spent a long time staring at the screen wondering how to start this post.  Truth be told, I didn't expect to ever start blogging again, I guess last year I lost my mo-jo, I was too busy in the run up to the wedding and then I couldn't find the motivation to start again, and I knew if my heart wasn't in it, then it probably wasn't the right thing to do.

But here we are, 1st January 2016 and I'm back.  However, I don't imagine I'll be doing outfit posts, or make up reviews any time soon, blogging this year is going to be a little different for me.

On May 26th, 3 days after our wedding, my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  My parents didn't tell us until we got home to ensure we would enjoy our honeymoon.  Since then, life has been a roller coaster.

2015 was filled with highs and lows, my wedding day being the best day of my life, my dad's diagnosis being the worst, and I'm still trying to come to terms with it all.

So, rather than making a New Year's Resolution, I decided to set myself a New Year's Challenge.  This year I am going to train for, and take part in Total Warrior.  And I'm going to do it to raise money for Pancreatic Cancer UK.  

Total Warrior
I wanted to do something which would really be a challenge for me.  Anyone who knows me well, knows that me and exercise have never got along. Admittedly, in the last year I have got significantly fitter than I was 12 months ago, but I've got the wedding to thank for that.  But I'm no athlete, and this is going to be hard.  I can't run for 5 minutes, let alone complete a 10k obstacle course!

But I can't really expect people to sponsor me to complete something that isn't a challenge.  My dad has his own challenges to face this year, so I thought I'd join him and do something completely out of my comfort zone.

So why am I back here? Well, I'm hoping it'll act as a motivation for me, I need to start training so I'm going to use this space to capture that, I'm hoping by publishing it, it'll give me that kick up the arse when I need it.  But also, without getting too cheesy, I'm hoping it'll act as almost a therapy, sometimes writing things down comes much easier than talking about it.

2016 is going to be a physical challenge and an emotional challenge. 

Some people may say it's ignorant but I haven't asked many questions about my dad's diagnosis, I don't want to know, I'd rather enjoy the days, months or years we have ahead of us rather than counting down towards a prognosis given by the doctors.  That would be too hard. So I'm focusing on the now, and I'm going to hopefully help raise a little money on my way.
So here we go.  And if you can any words of advice, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment :

  1. Welcome back, Caroline! I'm so sorry to hear about your upsetting family news (though congratulations on the wedding!) I know you'll do brilliantly with the Total Warrior Challenge - the amazing cause will most definitely spur you on. Good luck! xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...