pages

About Me      Guilty Pleasures      Disclaimer      Contact

Friday, 9 September 2016

for the love of yoga

warrior three
 for the love of yoga
I’ve always wanted to be a yogi, you know the type I mean, long toned limbs, hair that falls in natural loose waves, a golden tan from mornings spent on Balinese beaches doing inversions and balances in their colour co-ordinated crop tops and leggings.

I’m never going to be that person, my limbs are all too chunky, my hair is too straight, I spend my days in cloudy Cumbria and my lycra never matches.  But, a girl can dream, and in the last 3 months I’ve really started to dedicate some time to yoga, and who knows, maybe one day I’ll be doing it on a beach somewhere.

Over the years of dabbled, I’ve always been a relatively flexible person, and every now and then, I’d find a local class, go along, and would leave feeling pretty smug as the teacher and commented on my bendiness.  I’d wake up the next day, barely able to walk, and would inevitably find excuses not to go back… it’s too expensive, it’s on a busy day of the week, I finished work too late, etc etc.  It’s not that I didn’t enjoy the class, but previously, I’ve never wanted to find the time to fit exercise into my week.

Back bend
  
Since I started my fitness journey last year, things have changed quite a lot, and now it’s a priority in my life.  I wanted to get back to yoga and make it my routine.  So I joined the local studio (approximately 2 minutes from my office, so really no excuses) and signed up to their unlimited membership.  And do you know what? I am loving it! I try to get along 2 or 3 times a week, I’d like to go more, but I need to keep up my cardio fitness so have to make priorities.  I’ve actually started to plan my week around when the classes are, and I feel really disappointed if I can’t get there for a few days.

I’m not one for the meditative side of yoga, and don’t like to ‘om’ and I’m not very good at getting my breathing inline with my movements. I go because I enjoy the flow, I like pushing my body (it’s surprisingly hard) and I’m enjoying seeing my flexibility come along.  But what I have been surprised by, is the relaxation of it.  Life for me is a little stressful at the moment, my dad is really ill, my work is a little rocky and I feel as though my weekends are booked from now until eternity.  Within 5 minutes of starting a yoga class I’ve forgotten all that, I really focus on what I’m doing, and Shavasana at the end? Well, on several occasions I’ve been pretty close to nodding off.

So it’s fair to say, I’m definitely not going to be finding excuses to avoid these classes anymore, in fact, I might even try and squeeze in some practices at home.  I’m never going to be the yogi I’d like to be (read this post about Steffy – my biggest yoga crush) but I can almost hold a headstand, my chunky limbs are getting leaner, there’s no hope for my hair, and as for a matching outfit, we’ll see…

1 comment :

  1. Those outfits look good to me, matching or no matching!
    I love yoga but don't get to classes as often as I'd like - you've inspired me to go on my day off this week though! As for Savasannah... I fall asleep EVERY time! Luckily I'm not a snorer haha

    Christy x
    Dinner Stories

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) So please away xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...